How Universal Bank will continue to serve you
Dear Valued Client,
In response to the recent outbreak of the Coronavirus (COVID-19), Universal Bank would like to take this opportunity to inform you of the measures we are implementing to keep our customers and employees safe and informed, and our systems and services running without disruption.
We have activated our Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery Plan, which includes a comprehensive pandemic response. Across all of our locations – which includes 5 branches, we have increased our supplies of disinfecting products and implemented additional enhanced sanitizing and cleaning protocols to ensure a clean and safe environment for our customers.
If you are unable to come into one of our branches, please be assured that most of your banking needs can be met through our network of ATMs, online banking platform (both personal and business), and telephone banking services. To deposit a check, you can also mail it to our West Covina Branch at: 3455 Nogales St. West Covina, CA 91792 along with your deposit slip. For assistance, please call our toll free customer support line at (888) 809-8282 or email us at UBonline@universalbank.com.
You can find the latest information on the Coronavirus and how to limit your risk of infection by calling the Centers of Disease Control (CDC) hotline at 1-800-232-4636 or visit www.cdc.gov/covid19.
Thank you for your continued trust in Universal Bank. We hope you and your family remain safe and healthy.
Your Universal Bank Team
Updated on 5/15/2020
The safety of our customers and employees is our top priority. The Center for Disease Control (CDC) and government agency officials have urged the nation to follow a “social distancing” reinforcement period by staying a healthy distance from other people while minimizing the number of people in one place as part of the country’s effort to halt the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
1. What steps are Universal Bank taking in response during the social distancing reinforcement period?
We are complying with the CDC recommendation and the LA County Department of Public Health order to minimize the number of people in one place at any given time. Therefore, customers may be required to walk in the branch one at a time. Customers and employees are encouraged to stand a healthy distance away from each other whenever possible. Customers showing severe sickness may be asked to leave the premises.
2. What are Universal Bank’s hours during the social distancing reinforcement period?
For our latest updates, please go to Locations and Hours.
Universal Bank encourages our customers to schedule an appointment to reduce wait time or to visit after business hours.
Arcadia Branch: (626) 821-8080
Eagle Rock Branch: (323) 254-2251
Monterey Park Branch: (626) 293-8500
Rosemead Branch: (626) 285-2251
West Covina Branch: (626) 854-2801
3. What are the bank’s sanitizing standards during the social distancing reinforcement period?
Across all of our locations – which includes 5 branches, we have increased our supplies of disinfecting products and implemented additional enhanced sanitizing and cleaning protocols. We continue to clean our branches, including Automated Teller Machines (ATM) screens and keypads, with EPA-approved disinfectants. CDC recommends frequent handwashing as a safety protocol.
4. What is Universal Bank’s guideline for employees regarding face masks during the social distancing reinforcement period?
The CDC advises the use of face coverings to slow the spread of the virus for both employees and customers. Please note that customers without a face covering or showing signs of COVID-19 symptoms will be requested to leave the premises.
Economic Impact Payment: General Questions
5. What do I need to know about my Economic Impact Payment, also referred to as “stimulus checks?”
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is distributing payments by using the information that the IRS has on file for each eligible individual(s).
For most of the recipients, payments will be made by direct deposit into the same bank account that they have most recently filed with IRS to receive a tax refund or monthly Social Security payment. Others will receive paper checks in the mail, at the address that the IRS has on file for that individual(s).
Banks, including Universal Bank do not provide personal account or address information to the IRS.
6. Am I eligible, and when will my payment arrive? Contact the IRS.
The IRS Economic Impact Payment Information Center website has detailed information on eligibility, requesting, calculating and receiving payments.
The IRS Get My Payment website can provide you information about the status of your payment, payment type (direct deposit or paper check) and how to set up a direct deposit if available.
Economic Impact Payment: Receiving Payment
7. How do I know if I received a payment electronically? Check your account without leaving home.
Set up a direct deposit account alert to tell you when direct deposits post to your account.
The description of the deposit in your account will include the word “IRS.” Keep in mind, the IRS is using the same description for both the stimulus payment and income tax refund.
8. How can I deposit my paper check without visiting a branch?
Download our Mobile Banking app. In the app, personal banking customers can deposit a paper check, using a photo image, and get confirmation immediately.
Go to a Universal Bank ATM. Click here to find your nearest ATM.
If you must visit a branch, please note that Universal Bank follows guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), including social distancing of at least 6 feet between each person and covering your mouth and nose.
Economic Impact Payment: Tracking Payment Status
9. The IRS has bank information from a previous tax return that is no longer current. What should I do?
In some situations, you may be able to update your account information. Visit IRS Get My Payment to learn more.
10. Why isn’t my direct deposit showing up in my account?
All direct deposit payments are posted to open accounts on the date set by the Treasury. Visit IRS Get My Payment to track the status of your payment.
11. What happens if my direct deposit went to my closed account?
In the event that a payment is sent to a closed account, the IRS requires Universal Bank to reject and return the payment. Visit the IRS website for more information on how to receive your payment.
12. I have questions about the amount of my payment. Who can help me?
Visit the IRS website for information regarding eligibility, requesting, calculating and receiving payments.
You can check status of your payment, payment type (direct deposit or paper check) and how to set up a direct deposit if available at IRS Get my Payment.
Our branches and customer service representatives will not have information on Economic Impact Payment eligibility, timing or distribution. These payments are decided and distributed solely by the IRS.
13. I still haven’t received my payment. Where is it?
The IRS is responsible for the timing, amount and distribution of these payments, and has stated that payments will be sent in waves over the course of multiple weeks into July 2020. Visit IRS Get My Payment to track the status of your payment.
14. What can I do to help protect against fraud? Take these steps.
Check the IRS website for information about your payment status and account information.
Make sure your contact information is accurate in your account.
Set up security and account alerts.
Remember, if we need to reach out to you, we’ll NEVER ask for personal or financial information or an access code through email, text, or unsolicited calls.
Personal & Business Banking Solutions
1. What are my banking options if I don’t want to visit a branch during social distancing reinforcement period?
Universal Bank allows customers to stay connected 24/7 with mobile and online banking. You can also download our app by clicking here.
- Bank online anytime: Check balances, use our online Bill Pay, transfer money, set up alerts, and more from your computer or mobile device
- Deposit checks by mail: Send us your check and deposit slip to: 3455 Nogales St., West Covina, CA, 91792.
- Send and receive money: Use our mobile app or online banking to move money between friends and family with Zelle,® Please note you must be enrolled in Bill Pay to use this product.
- Telephone banking by automated Voice Response Unit (VRU) – Check balances, check your latest transaction and transfer money by calling 1-888-671-1888.
- Treasury Management Services for business clients: Online banking with wire services, remote deposit capture (RDC) and mobile banking are available.
2. During the social distancing reinforcement period, how can customers make cash withdrawals?
Customers can use the ATM at local Universal Bank locations or at any ATM of the customer’s choice. During business hours, branch lobbies are also available for cash transactions. Universal Bank encourages customers to use their debit card for point of sales purchases.
3. Is my money on deposit safe?
Yes. While the stock market is in a volatile position and the Federal Reserve has cut the short-term interest rate, Universal Bank is well capitalized and is in solid liquidity position. Universal Bank is regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of Currency of the U.S. Government to ensure safe and soundness of our financial institution. Deposits are insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) to ensure the confidence of our depositors.
4. How do I access my safe deposit box?
Customers are able to access their safety deposit boxes during business hours.
5. Do I have to come to the branch in person to open an account?
We continue to open accounts at any of our branch locations. If you prefer to limit person to person contact, please call the relationship manager at your nearest branch to arrange an appointment to open an account. Click here to find your nearest branch.
6. How can I keep in contact with Universal Bank and get updates?
Universal Bank will continue to engage it’s customers through various channels, including phone calls, email and direct mail. Your dedicated relationship manager may call you from one of our branch phone lines to provide updates. Please note our branch phone numbers, which are listed here. At the beginning of the call, the Universal Banker will state his/her name, Universal Bank, branch number, and give you a call back number before obtaining any information.
How can I make a loan payment during the social distancing reinforcement period?
For loan customers who usually make their loan payments at our branches, we encourage you to mail in the payments using the pre-addressed envelope enclosed in your monthly statement. The mailing address on the envelope is as follows:
Attn: Loan Service
3455 S. Nogales Street FL 2
West Covina, CA 91792-5106
If you have any questions for loan payments, please contact (626)854-2818 at ext. 122 or ext.162.